26 March 2009

I'm a Fan

I love music.
I am not even close to being any kind of music expert or aficionado, but I think there are almost zero situations that music can't improve upon.
(I have a healthy appreciate for silence too, but that's a whole other blog.)

I love that people still make music because it's what they're pulled to do. That is ultimately where the best music comes from. I love seeing music performed live, be it in a smokey bar with three other patrons, on a sweaty stage with beer warming in the plastic cup in my hand because we're outside in august, or in a stadium with thousands of others - there is little that can rival the magic of watching stand up and perform.

I think it is important to go and see people perform the music they've made when they are still working day jobs and pulling it together to tour and just trying to make it happen. Because you know they are putting their hearts into it, that it matters. And if you end up not liking the music, hey, you probably didn't spend more than maybe $10 and a couple beers (if that).

I know a guy that one might call an 'up and comer' in the music world. I first heard of him because my brother played the drums in his band off and on, so I started listening to him about a year or so ago. He writes and plays his own music and I swear he reminds me of Bob Dylan sometimes, only way sexier (taller and he's got some sweet boots, and a really cute puppy named Waylon.)

So, if you're in the mood to support some music that doesn't have big money behind it and is actually good shit, check him out. I've seen him perform on a casual occasion or two and can't wait to see him on an actual stage one of these days, so if he's in your town you should go and let me know how much fun you had. Nathan Xander is a kid with talent and heart and I bet you won't regret it.

In the meantime, listen to him and maybe even buy a song or two (or, even better, the whole album - I've had it on repeat in my car the last few weeks.)

Links:
This is a great review and describes almost perfectly how I feel about this music.
http://www.alwaysneverhome.com/
http://www.myspace.com/nathanxander
Another Nice Review

No comments:

Post a Comment